Friday, September 5, 2008

The Rain Birds: Singing in May - Lake Chapala Mexico


By Marie Dwyer-Bullock

www.focusonmexico.com

A Personal Story – Reflection of The Rain Birds.

Ray calls this one of my ‘Mario’ stories. Shortly after we first moved to Lake Chapala (and we were still pretty green), and before we started Focus on Mexico, we were marketing a condo project called Birds of Paradise. The first buyer came along before the ground was broken. Just before they were to head home, “Be” (my client) called me to meet her at the property so she could take some pictures. While there we heard this very disturbing noise. Be said it sounded like electricity and there were indeed electrical wires overhead. I told her I would investigate and get back to her.

The next day, some Mexican friends – Mario and his wife, came from Guadalajara to take me out for lunch. I took them to the project and told Mario my story and asked what he thought the noise was. He said: “Don’t worry Marie. It is just the telephone lines. They make that noise when they are under-utilized.”

I was so relieved, thinking I had the answer and all was fine. A couple days later friends (who had been living in Lake Chapala for a number of years) stopped by for coffee. While they were there I could hear the same sound again. I looked up at the wires above the house and told them what Mario had told me. I thought they were going to die laughing. Finally, Eva, still in tears, told me what was actually making the sound. It was the ‘Rain Birds’, calling for the rain.

The Lake Chapala area enjoys approximately eight months of rain-free weather with rainy season being from June to end of September. About six weeks before the rainy season, the ‘Rain Birds’ start calling for the rain. They make a very high pitched sound that gathers momentum and is really strange. It was much later that I learned these ‘Rain Birds’, that I was never really able to see (but could certainly hear), were actually a bug, looking somewhat like a grasshopper, but with many legs. The sound results from them rubbing their legs against their body (hard shell). Anyhow, it makes for an interesting story.

If you are interested in living in Mexico, I wholeheartedly recommend the Focus on Mexico 8-day Educational program. We have expert speakers who come and teach about real estate, health care, insurance, cost of living comparisons, US Taxes, banking and immigration law and more. We also manage to pack a lot of fun into the equation! Many people feel like they’ve been on vacation after they leave here, even though we give you a lot of information. By the end of the program you’ll have all the information necessary to decide if Mexico is for you or not. www.FocusOnMexico.com

No comments: